Friday, June 11, 2010

Friends & Family Fridays: My Father Breaks Things... A Lot

***So this is Friends & Family Friday!! This is my day to talk more about my friends and family (aside from sharing waaay too much about their love lives on my other blog, lol). My friends and family are lovely people, that much I know for sure. Have fun getting to know them through my eyes.***

This week's post is about my daddy. If you know and watched The Cosby Show, you have a pretty basic idea of how my family is. Fewer children, but the same basic family vibe. I think I'm a cross between all their girls, except Denise, and my brother is definitely Theo. My dad has some Cliff Huxtable-like qualities.

Thankfully, he doesn't wear those God-awful sweaters. But he does have a DIY spirit that can sometimes go awry. The latest example would be our backyard project. We're working on re-doing the whole backyard... by ourselves. It's very hard work, and the whole thing feels two steps forward one step back sometimes. But at least he's staying away from the doorbell, lol. My dad is also generally fantastic with technology. Every VCR is programmed, every laptop updated with the latest software. His favorite toy store is Best Buy.

Lately, he's had a string of bad luck with his DIY and tech loves. The wheelbarrow that we so desperately need for the yard work has a flat tire. I didn't even know wheelbarrows could get flat tires! His cell phone is broken. When we were in South Carolina, he and I were hanging out by the beach. He had my mother's digital camera and managed to take lots of pictures of my cousin and I playing in the water. He was at the water's edge and the waves came above his waist at times. But he managed not to do any damage to my mother's camera. After we went to lay down on our beach towels, he realized his cell phone was in his pocket. The screen had a pretty rainbow under the glass. It hasn't turned on since.

He also broke his glasses. And the particular pair he purchased were from a boutique glasses store; it was the only place near his job authorized by his insurance. The piece that broke is apparently super defective because it's on back order until August, two days after the BP spill will be fully capped without leaking. I'm wondering if he broke a mirror recently or something.

But, my daddy is a trooper. He put his name on the eyeglass waiting list. He's picking out a new phone today. He has a blackberry, I don't know how he managed to do the one thing that will break them besides throwing them out a third floor window. I don't know if he'll get another one or not, but I hope so. With his luck, anything less than that brick that is a blackberry will certainly get broken.

So, that's my dad. Cliff Huxtable, with better jokes.

0 New Hypotheses:

Related Posts with Thumbnails