Monday, June 7, 2010

Science & Medicine Monday: TV Dinners (And Breakfasts & Lunches) Are Very Bad For You

***This blog post is dedicated to Science & Medicine. That may include important medical and/or scientific knowledge and developments. It may just be about my life on the path to becoming a research scientist. Whatever it entails, I hope it's not too dull, lol. If you have any medical questions or suggestions of what to write about, let me know and I'll do it in an upcoming Science & Medicine Monday posting!***

First let me say that I'm sorry I haven't posted in a number of days, but I was gone to South Carolina for my younger cousin's graduation from high school. It was an exciting time. I covered it (very briefly) on my travel journal. You can see that webpage here.

Today's post is about an article I read on the New York Times website. I like to check out their science and health pages occasionally, and this article really got me. I am such a sucker for effective marketing. I have always known this about myself. But I never thought about the effect lovely commercials were having on my diet.

I've recently changed my eating habits pretty drastically. I decided that if I were to have a flat stomach, I would be such a hot commodity because hardly anyone has a flat stomach anymore. It's a two part plan. Step 1: do at least 100 sit ups/crunches each day. Step 2: Stop eating so many damn carbs! I have a love affair with all things carb-y and gluten-y and generally flour-y. Yeah, I'm looking at you Krispy Kreme. So, I've recently cut way down. Even though I dream about Cinnabuns dancing around me tauntingly, it's not so bad in the waking hours. And because I'm in my 20s and still have a roaring metabolism, it's already made a big difference. As long as my boobs, butt, and hips don't get smaller, I'll keep this up. For some reason, I feel like I have more energy now, how weird is that? I suppose my body has concentrated on breaking down all those stored carbs and starches, etc. so now there is just extra energy floating about.

If Americans ate only foods advertised on TV, a new report says, they would consume 25 times the recommended amount of sugar and 20 times the amount of fat they need, but less than half the dairy, fiber and fruits and vegetables.
That's a direct quote from the article. How scary is that? Do your eating habits reflect your TV watching habits? If so, you should try and focus just on the E-Trade baby. That is, unless you're both a compulsive gambler and a DIY-er.





3 New Hypotheses:

Gummy bears are my addiction. Luckily they don't advertise them on TV - not sure if my love of them could get worse or not, but don't honestly want to find out!

 

Between the food channel and the travel channel I should probably weigh about 300 lbs! Luckily though, I haven't really found the motivation to get off the couch and cook all that food.

 

@Kerri&Shaun: gummy bears do it for me too!!! It's always weird to meet a person who doesn't like gummy bears or gummy worms or marshmallows.
Wouldn't gummy bears make a great mascot for something? I guess it's good for you that they aren't, lol.

@SilverNeurotic: I love love love the Food Channel as well. Their saving grace is that they always serve full meals. There is fruit, veggies, fiber, meat, and fat in their meals. I'm sure Paula Dean takes up more than her fair share of butter though, lol.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails