Thursday, November 4, 2010

My 20s Life Experiment For Hobbies #1: I Want To Go Outside My City, And State, And Region, And Country

Last night I did some thinking about travel. I've been tossing around the idea of travelling to St. Louis next week to spend some time with Easy. But let's face it, at this point, visiting St. Louis barely counts as travelling because I've been there so many times.

But I was also thinking about my trip to NYC last year for New Year's Eve with Top. And I can't remember the last time I went to the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area to see Noni.

Then last night I had a pretty crazy dream. I'm not even sure what city/country I was visiting. But I was visiting Top's good friend and current roommate. He has lived a number of places and always meets new people and forms these lasting relationships with them.

I could totally see visiting him without Top, and just like my dream, there being so many random people there also to just visit and hang out.

The dream was awesome because there was lots of cereal to be eaten, ghost stories to be shared, and banks to rob. Yes, in the dreams I desired to participate in those three activities soooo badly.

Zany dream aside, I started thinking about how long it's been since I travelled regularly. Without a form of employment, it's impossible to fund any travel right now, but I do miss it so.

Therefore, I've resolved to leave the city once a week, at least to go to a suburb. I'm going to leave the state once a month. I'm going to leave the Midwest once a season. And I'm going to leave the country once a year.

That may seem like a lot, but it's about par for the course for the last ten years or so, with the exception of leaving the country. I've done that six times in the last 18 years, so I'm going to be really improving my average with that one.

And this is even more incentive to spend that extra thirty minutes filling out even more job applications. I won't be able to make my goal of leaving the country by this time next year if I don't have a way to pay for that, bills, and my student loans.

Countdown to the Life I Want: 3 years, 11 months, 6 days.

0 New Hypotheses:

Related Posts with Thumbnails