Friday, May 14, 2010

Friends & Family Fridays: My Parents Are Having An Anti-Mid-Life Crisis

So this is Friends & Family Friday!! This is my day to talk more about my friends and family (aside from sharing waaay too much about their love lives on my other blog, lol). My friends and family are lovely people, that much I know for sure. Have fun getting to know them through my eyes.



They call it the mid-life crisis. Men act out with earrings, motorcycles, and leather pants from the 70s. Women act out with shopping sprees, liposuction, How Stella Got Her Groove Back-style vacations. My parents are not having a mid-life crisis. They're having an anti-mid-life crisis.

What is this mystical anti-mid-life crisis you say? Well, it's when one fully embraces being of a certain age age, and manages to enjoy life while acting one's age. One is not jealous of younger people and their wonderful lives that they must be living. No, one is feeling above them for having higher callings and responsibilities.

I am so proud of my parents. They are at the tops of their respective work ladders. There is always room to go higher, but for what their job titles are, they are both the highest paid African-American with their jobs. I don't know how familiar you all may be with Chicago's race relations when it comes to jobs, but let me just say what they've accomplished is huge (and they did it without taking the job away from a person of another race) and leave it there.

And now that my brother (who I call Louie in my blogs) is getting married, they're embracing their age even more. Making not-so-subtle inquiries of him and his fiancee (who I call Keisha) about when the grandchildren can be expected. They see a shortcut in me since PT already has a daughter who is the perfect age for playing dress-up and making cookies and going shopping for tutus and princess crowns.

But I truly love how they're embracing life. They go to concerts together to see their favorite bands/singers. My mom and I are going to see Maxwell and Jill Scott in concert two days after the baseball game and two days before the SATC2 premiere. Should be a great week!

All I'm saying is I'm glad that my parents have neither regressed to their 20-30s nor fast-forwarded to their 80s. I expect that they'll continue with their hobbies (golf, gardening, bowling, movie/theater/concert/musical going, travelling) and activities and enjoy their family expanding. I breathe a sigh of relief because I have friends who have parents who are having a real mid-life crisis, and that shit sucks.

0 New Hypotheses:

Related Posts with Thumbnails