Monday, May 17, 2010

Science & Medicine Monday: Some People Are Starting To See It Isn't The End Of The World If I'm Not A Doctor

This blog post is dedicated to Science & Medicine. That may include important medical and/or scientific knowledge and developments. It may just be about my life on the path to becoming a research scientist. Whatever it entails, I hope it's not too dull, lol. If you have any medical questions or suggestions of what to write about, let me know and I'll do it in an upcoming Science & Medicine Monday posting!

Church yesterday was quite interesting. I've always thought of my church as kind of gossip-y. But a good number of people asked me how school was going. And so, I had to tell a good number of people that I had withdrawn from medical school and had plans to become a research scientist instead.

My hiding out in Children's Church by volunteering there was of some use because at least I didn't have to deal with talking with everyone until after church was over. The church people I had to tell all had similar reactions: slight disappointment followed very quickly by support. And they also almost all had a bit of spite towards people who had reacted so poorly that I found myself bracing for a negative reaction. I might as well have said, "I'm not going to be a medical doctor. It's not because I can't, it's because I won't" Then turned around and bent over to wait for what would happen next.

I haven't become gun-shy about telling people, I've just become more weary about it. But I really appreciated the outpouring of support from some people.

As far as my church goes, there are now two distinct groups of people who know for a fact I'm no longer in medical school: those who were told by me and my brother and those who were told by my parents. The ones who were told by me and my brother all have reasonable questions including: Why? How? When? What next? Those who were told by my parents don't have questions, they just have judgements.

This leads me to wonder what the hell my parents have been telling people. But I guess it's more their problem than mine. My father called me a drop out again today. I didn't even bother to correct him. I just walked away.

It's just so weird to have this dichotomy in our relationship right now. Part of the time we're a normal parents-daughter group with an affable and easy relationship. The other part is tension-filled with the bitterness about not understanding the other's side constantly growing.

The way I see it, they didn't get over my brother not finishing college until he became a minister and went to seminary school. So I don't expect they'll really get over this until I either give them grandchildren or get a PhD, whichever comes first.

2 New Hypotheses:

It's starting to sound like people are seeing your point of view on things - which is really good! I'm sorry to hear about the rift between who you and your brother told vs who your parents told - hope it gets better v soon for you.

 

Thanks so much! I've been feeling very weary as of late with everyone's reactions to my life, but it helps to know there are at least some people who get it.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails