Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Working On My Hobbies Wednesday: Working Out In A Unique Way

I have some hobbies I'd like to get better acquainted with. I have some hobbies I'm interested in taking up. This day's post is dedicated to the adventure of developing hobbies so I stay a well-rounded person. What hobbies do you engage in?


This week's hobby post is about getting into a new hobby. I love rock climbing and have had the pleasure of trying it once or twice. I'm not nearly ready to be like the tv commercials climbing the sides of cliffs, but I would love to spend some more time at rock climbing facilites.

There's just this thrill I get when I get all the way to the top and look down. After I think, "what the hell was I thinking climbing this high off the groun?! Get me down now!!", I think, "what a rush. This is so much fun and I'm probably getting a better workout than I would on a treadmill."

I get a sense of accomplishment, a workout, and a really great date idea all in one. In fact, I wonder if possibly my friends would be interested in trying it too. Bad's the only one I spend a lot of time with that lives in Chicago of my close friends. He might want to try it. Also, I have my girls from church. We'll call them the SATC crew. They're not at all like those women, but there's four of us in the group I prefer to hang with. Anyway, the SATC crew might be enticed to do it. I like to get them to try new things occasionally. It's easier said than done. But this is certainly not a hobby I'd want to engage in all alone.

Of course, I could find some new friends at a rock climbing place. That would be interesting. Do any of you rock climb? Any suggestions for places in the Chicago area to go?



photo from rockclimbingshoesandgear.com

3 New Hypotheses:

I have always want to give rock climbing a try. Like you, not in the commercials kind of way.
I had seen the ones that are set up at fairs and malls but I am well above their weight range.
I may not look it but I am over 260 pounds at the moment. I'm sure the one's at gyms are rated much higher than the fairs and malls.

 

I would try it, but I don't think I'd get very far. I don't think there's any place nearby to do it though. *sad*

 

@ The Savage: I've never done the ones at malls, they're too small. I've done two walls at differnet YMCAs. That was so much fun. But they weren't in Chicago. And you don't look like you're over 260 pounds. Must be a lot of muscle...

@ SilverNeurotic: You'd be surprised. Even if you don't have the practice or muscles to get up there, the fear of failing may push you farther. That's how I got to the top the first time, lol. If you're ever in a situation to try it, definitely do. At the very least, you'll probably get an interesting blog post about it.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails