Saturday, June 25, 2011

Adjusting to Work, aka, Lots O' Personality

I've decided that I like my job. I like it a lot and I could make a career out of it. I use my degree, there's room for advancement. And depending on the direction I go, the salary cap is really really high (adopt 6 kids? sure I can afford it).

So, the only thing about this job is the adjustment to all these different personalities. I like most everyone at the job, but they all have really strong personalities. It's hard to find that balance of friendliness and professionalism.

Professionalism doesn't seem to be high on the list of priorities. That makes for some moments, like when we broke into a game of catch. But it also makes for awkward moments when personal business of co-workers is being discussed behind their backs.

I'm still trying to find the tone I want to set in terms of how friendly (aka gossipy) I'll be at work. I don't want to be the stick in the mud. But it's not really in my nature to engage in all this conversation with co-workers. When I worked at Forever 21, I was there for a year before I ever went out with the co-workers who hung out every weekend.

I think I expected more of a work-ier environment because this is my "first real job." Like I said, it's an adjustment.

Anyone have to get over reality being different than expectations of a new job?



0 New Hypotheses:

Related Posts with Thumbnails