Friday, October 8, 2010

My Car Looks Like Crap And Yours Should Too

My car looks like crap, It needs a better washing than what drive-through car washes seems able to accomplish. The tires aren't shiny, the inside needs a good dusting. The inside also needs a good vacuuming, steam cleaning, and maybe a de-lousing.

I'm just kidding, sort of. And I don't think anyone should do anything just because I do. The world would be a boring place with nothing but Democrats who use their hair as an accessory and dress for their body types while walking around talking like a black character from Dawson's Creek or Gilmore Girls (oh wait, they didn't have those), all having the same taste in men. I do not think that would be awesome, except for the dressing for your body type part. EVERYONE should do that, but I digress.

Back to my car, it's a bit messy. Every time my mother gets into it, she requests I get it detailed. In honor of being in tune with myself, I've been trying to figure out why I'm so against a shiny happy car. I've finally figured it out.

I am against the traditional status symbols, at least the ones that are likely to appear in a music video. I do not want to be the stereotype of my race. Don't get me wrong, I want people to be who they are, right down to wearing skinny jeans even when they're shaped like a refrigerator, but I don't want to be a stereotype myself.

Realizing that in a way, I am a stereotype has helped me get over myself and stop being self-destructive. Yes, not taking care of my car is self-destructive. I'm not in a position to get a new one if this one wears out ahead of it's time. And I'm vastly reducing the re-sale cost of my car because eventually, that Pepsi stain is not going to come out of the cup-holder. And then I'll be a stereotypical person with no money from her old car to contribute to the new one.

What stereotype am I? I may not be the typical black woman stereotype, but I'm a typical 20-something college graduate woman stereotype. I love romantic comedies, I blame my bad luck with men on the high standards set by my daddy, I'm into going green and yoga, and I love shopping, diamonds, and chocolate. Not that I can afford any of those things, but I do love me some sparkly diamonds.

What's the point? Don't be a stereotype! But don't take it so far that you become self-destructive. I am now at peace with my decision to have my car detailed, it doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly have 24" rims and suicide doors, I realize I can be a black person who cares about their car without being a stereotype.

0 New Hypotheses:

Related Posts with Thumbnails