Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mardi Gras Versus Exercising And Other Topics

Yesterday was quite a day for me. After getting up at 6:30 am, I was all pumped for the next 24 hours, which included hanging out with one of Easy's friends and his girl, a Mardi Gras celebration, and running again this morning at 6:30 am. But of course, plans never work out like they're supposed to. Thanks God Easy and I are flexible people.


I went with Easy to this high school he volunteers at working with the band in East St. Louis. I don't know what you readers may know about that city, but if you ever find yourself there, you should prolly head back out on the nearest expressway. I'm only slightly exaggerating. I've spent a considerable amount of time there because one of my best friends, Lion, is from there.


Easy's friend who we were supposed to hang out with last night lives there too. He flaked on us for some reason (who really cares?), but we'll probably see him at some point this week. I wasn't upset about it since Easy and I always seem to get into a fight when we're around his friends. This is just a "his friends problem. Not family and none of my people. I wrote a post about I'll publish at some point in the future. I'm actually looking forward to spending time with this guy and his girl so I can test my theory that we only fight when it's new friends. We've thus far never hung out with one of his friends more than once, except his nephew, but that's family too, so it doesn't count.


But even without Easy's friend, we headed out to celebrate Mardi Gras St. Louis style. It's interesting, they have all the gold, green, and purple decorations plus beads and New Orleans style food one could want. And if you are okay with St. Louis Cardinals jerseys everywhere, it's pretty much the same mix of drunk white people, jazz, and happiness. As far as I know, there's no version of Bourbon Street here though, lol. We didn't go to the parade because of the rain and the cold. It was supposed to be in the upper 50s, but it never warmed up to that point.


We did go to the Broadway Oyster Bar by ourselves. There was live music. Easy knew the trumpet player and he was amazing. The food was great. As soon as we walked in, I smelled grilled burgers and knew that's what I was eating. And they had a New Orleans menu for dessert, so that meant bread pudding. That's been my new dessert of choice the last couple of restaurants I've gone to. And we also had a couple of drinks. We danced and laughed and had a really good time. I was glad we were there by ourselves because then we didn't have to spend time getting to know other people.


We left to go bar hopping and quickly found that idea would not work based on cost, location, and how tired we both were. I'm not old! I just was ready to go home at like 10 pm. We had been up for a long time. But we didn't go to bed. we stopped at the store on the way home and decided to finally Rent RED (and watch it) and got a bottle of my favorite wine, Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling. We watched the movie and drank the wine and were in bed sleep before 1 am. Again, I'm not old, but we were just tired!


I suggested we make plans for next year to truly enjoy what St. Louis had to offer for Mardi Gras. I had a lot of fun out and wanted to do more exploring. I wanted Easy to promise me we'd try out hardest to be in St. Louis for Mardi Gras next year. His reply? "We'll probably be married by this time next year, so we'll be together where ever we are." I was shocked. He and I talk about our futures a lot. There's even a running joke about an engagement ring made out of Lucky Charms. But to make it so concrete was a surprise to me.


It seems like when it comes to taking that next big step, every time Easy has to stop and think on it and plan it, it becomes less about the romance and the reality of the future, and more about not rushing things. I don't care about "rushing". I care about him and making our own rules and doing what fits for us. I think I said that way back in August. Yup, just found the post. Back then the rules were to just be us without a title, and now, less than seven months later, the rules have drastically changed. But as long as the rules still work for the two of us, I say let's go with that.


I don't know what exactly is going to happen in our immediate future, but I'm glad we're discussing the possibilities and not imposing limitations. And I'm glad we can work together for solutions to any problems. The latest solution? Well, we didn't go running this morning. Drinking an entire bottle of wine at 11 o'clock at night tends to make one lethargic the next morning. Easy suggested we go running when he gets off work. It's not my ideal plan for when to run, but it was his suggestion in the first place. So we'll be running this afternoon/evening. He has turned me into a person who not only accepts compromise, but I'm starting to thrive on it. As soon as there's a disagreement, I'm itching to find a middle ground. Weird.

0 New Hypotheses:

Related Posts with Thumbnails